[possible off-topic] typing in arabic with a Spanish keyboard

السلام عليكم

This might be an off-topic, sorry about that if so. I couldn't find other places where to ask specifically about linux & Arabic language.

I've been trying to add Arabic to the Keyboard Indicator (or language selector) so that I can switch between Spanish and Arabic layouts in order to type in Arabic.

I followed all tutorials that I've found (including some indications somebody gave in this list not long ago) with no problems, but after the Arabic language is added, the switching doesn't work (neither with a keyboard shortkey, nor with a mouse click).

Quite wierdly, when I select Arabic in the "adding language" menu or when I remove it, two or four small windows pops up with the word "error".

I've tried with Generic 105-key (Intl) PC, Dell and Laptop/Notebook Dell Inspiron 8xxx as the model keyboard and the result appears to be the same.

Apparently I've got all the necessary fonts installed (in Synaptic). I've thought there might be a known issue that someone in this list may know how to solve.

I'm using Ubuntu Dapper in a Dell Inspiron 8500 with a Spanish keyboard. My locale is pt-BR and I've and I've got UTF-8.

I'll be grateful if sb could give some help. Any way to know what is wrong?

Shukren!
Manuel