Re: Arabic Keyboard layout

Amr Gharbeia wrote:
> I see no letter ذ on your layout. Your speardsheet does not indicate
> it is assigned to where the ~ is, which is where most people will
> expect it.

Good catch.. that's where it should be.. I always thought it was a weird
place for a letter key.

> This is the most common layout, albeit being inefficient (space wasted
> with the four LamAlif combinations: ﻻ، ﻵ، ﻷ، ﻹ is just one example).
> Alt Gr is not needed in this Arabic layout. I would love if we have a
> project for a more efficient keyboard, but I have not heard of any.

There is another layout that seems to be common as well were the {, }, <
and > have different locations (there are others, but these are the ones
I remember).

I also just noticed that there seems to only be a > character in the
Arabic layout but no < (and it is not on this layout).... anyone has any
idea where the less than character went?

We could also remove the ﻻ، ﻵ، ﻷ، ﻹ combination letters without thinking
twice about it, especially that  an argument I heard is that they are
not used often. But why is it wasted space? what would you put in their
place? paint is really cheap, and that's the only thing I see us saving :)

Khaled
--
Khaled Hassounah
OLPC - http://laptop.org