Re: Arabic Keyboard layout

On 21/09/06, khaled hassounah <khaled at laptop dot org> wrote:
All,

I work with OLPC (One Laptop Per Child - http://laptop.org) and have chatted
with multiple of you about it. One of the things we are doing is designing
the keyboard for Arabic countries.

The following links are for the proposed keyboard layout and key maps for
Arabic. This obviously follows one specific mapping. Should any other be
used? why? do you see any other problems or changes you would like to see?

http://mediumware.net/olpc/arabic-keyboard.pdf
 http://mediumware.net/olpc/keyboard-v2-arabic.xls

Khaled

I see no letter ذ on your layout. Your speardsheet does not indicate it is assigned to where the ~ is, which is where most people will expect it.

This is the most common layout, albeit being inefficient (space wasted
with the four LamAlif combinations: ﻻ، ﻵ، ﻷ، ﻹ is just one example).
Alt Gr is not needed in this Arabic layout. I would love if we have a
project for a more efficient keyboard, but I have not heard of any.