Re: License Islamic Holy material

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 01:00:42PM +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:

>  Hi List,
>  I was made aware that licensing Islamic holy material (such as Quran
>  text, or Hadith) is problematic, as we need to make it legally impossible
>  for someone to change and redistribute it. Yet we need to release under
>  under a free usage license.

What if they discover an error ? Your license will prevent the correction.

What I'd do is release them under a FLOSS license, Have the md5sums of the data files
embedded in the application and check the files when the application starts.
If the md5sum matches, fine. Otherwise we display a warning to the user.

I rely here on the FOSS community maintaining a level of ethical behaviour. I can say that
Debian wouldn't modify them, Mandriva wouldn't modify them, ....

Beside: The Holy Quran is under the public domain. Not sure how can one re-license that.

--
GNU/Linux registered user #224950
Proud Egyptian GNU/Linux User Group <www.eglug.org> Member.