Re: Questions about yeh, hamzah on yeh, alef maksura and dotless ba

> > > I have given up using an OpenType font in custom Qur'an application.
> > > This is because I'm not forced to use OpenType fonts or any other
> > > font for that matter since I in a custom app I have control over how
> > > text is being drawn.
> >
> > I couldn't agree more - I am doing exactly the same. But I hope to feed
> > back my experience to the Unicode consortium - whether they like it or not
> > :-) After all, Unicode is the only way towards interchangebility and
> > searchability on the internet.
> >
> > Let's keep on pioneering!
> >

> Pioneering? :-)

Yousif,
Does this means that your apps now does not use Opentype technology?
Then how are you going to encode the text itself?

> Well, I only do this for the benefit of the Qur'an.

Maybe what you meant is people to study/read the Quran.

Anyway, maybe you can first describe your plan with the project than,
because last time you insist on the solution to be cross platform as
much as possible, but now you are saying that you are going to render
the Quran your own way? Then how to make it compatible to other
paltform?

I have demonstrated that it is possible to render the quran correctly
using unicode + opentype. The solution works most of the time,
provided the platform have enough opentype support. Most MS Windows
and Linux does not have any problems, we just need to supply the
necessary font ( done that also). The only platform that I really want
to test is Windows CE 5.0, which promises to have uniscribe support,
but not sure how far they go with it (windows ce 2.0/pocket pc 2002
and windows ce 3.0/pocket pc 2003 does not have uniscribe support,
thus does not have international language support build in) . There
are only a few more areas that need to be enhance to get it both
correct visually and encoding wise.

Regards.