Re: New Font file release

Mete,
This font is based on KACST font. Since it is GPLed, so I'm releasing
it under GPL as well. I'm just testing this one out for several
reasons.
I have not work with the one that have the face similar to the actual
Madinah Mushaf. As I mentioned before, I did not release it mainly
becasue of licensing problems that I am not satisfied yet. However,
I'm using this font as a testing platform for new features, as well as
it will be my platform for my future fonts (hopefully). The difference
between the two fonts (other than the obvious one, the face) are as
follows:
1. The new font are design to support the whole Unicode arabic block,
not just Arabic language. The previous font was not designed with this
in mind. Hopefully, this font will be fully unicode 4.1 compliant
soon.
2. The new font does not have a contextual ligature like feh yeh, lam
yeh etc. This has it's own pluses and minuses. The goods:
i. Simple to design, update and maintain.
ii. Not too bloated in size.
iii. Faster to render on screen
iv. I can be made looks clear on screen, either by hinting or bitmap.
The more ligature there are, the more difficult this will be.
v. Easier to put the Quranic marks.
The bad:
i. Of course, looks not very good (bigger sizes and printing).

I'm not sure why yours looks that way. Could you check the setting of
your PC, like the DPI, the smoothing font options, and resolution.
>From the screenshot, it looks like the smoothing option is not turned
on.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my previous mail, the bitmap included is for
12pt/16pixel and 16pt/21pixel. This is for 96DPI. So, for those to
sizes, it should look clear and OK. Do let me know is you have
problems with these 2 sizes.

I've been working on resolving the issues of small alef, and it seems
like the solution is around the corner. We can have a consistent way
of encoding the text and correct way of displaying it without the need
of tatweel in the encoding. I'll be releasing it soon. Also, I hope I
can put all my works in gbase (google database) so that it will be
easier for others to access it.

Regards.