------------------------------
From: Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya <meor dot ridzuan at ****>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:32:59 +0800

Oibane,

Firefox, especially on linux, sadly is not very good in handling
arabic. The Lam Alef ligature formation is one of the best example. We
should have a better luck with pango based application. However, last
time I test, there is a slight problem even with Pango. I did submit a
big report, but even the developer gave up. You might want to test
with the lastest version of Pango.

About the height, I do notice the situation in Linux based
application. However, I have not investigate further why is that
happening. I believe I did set the font height correctly, but some
application just don't get it.

> 2.
> Bashar already pointed out shadda problem in "Allaahu", but it is
> not limited to it. Shadda info lacks at all. Ouch!

What do you mean by this? I don't quite understand. First of all, I
don't think I implement the Allah ligature in the font, even though
the glyph is there (it probably takes 2 minutes to finish it). And
yes, the glyph is without shadda. This is intentional. Why? Technical
reasons. Under opentype, we have 2 options forming a ligature: with
full marking information or ignoring the marks.If we were to create a
ligature with marks, it will take more work since we need to repeat it
for every single marking combination exist! The easiest is to ignore
the marks, and place the marks properly for  the ligature. So, in case
of ligature alef lam lam heh, I think it will be better to do it
without the shadda, because the sequence will have the shadda, and
that shadda will be placed properly.If the glyph already have a
shadda, we will have 2 shadda! If I were to include the mark as well,
it is alot of work. Also, some tradition use small alef instead of
fatha over the shadda, this will comlicate the matter worse.

So, in short, I think the ligature should not have a shadda, and if
you one the shadda to be there, just put the shadda after the first
lam, and everything will be fine, even if the rest does not have
marks. That's the beauty of opentype.

> Meor, I really thank you for your font implementation. Although it may not
> be your first hand intention, it's the first non-commercial font as
> far as I know which can be used on firefox which allows vowel and
> other signs at satisfactory level. Your choice, KacstQurn, is also
> great. It's beautiful.

Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think my font is the first.
There are others, but I think mine probably the first with bitmap in
it.

Anyway, I really appreciate for more tester to test the font. Also, it
will be good for feedback, the more specific ones will be good, (like
the comment on shadda) like mark positioning , kerning etc (i have not
started kerning yet).

Regards.
------------------------------
From: Oibane <pflm52td at ****>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:20:19 +0900 (JST)

Hi, Meor.

I wrote:
> 2.
> Bashar already pointed out shadda problem in "Allaahu", but it is
> not limited to it. Shadda info lacks at all. Ouch!

I wrongly reported phenomena cause by firefox bug. Sorry for bothering.
Your account on ligature of allaahu is right.

Still, there remains one problem which happens at least in pango-based
applications. (Last month I updated pango from 1.8.x to 1.10.2. I know
it has slight improvements, partly coming from fribidi updating.)
When you put superscript alef U+0670 after shadda, the super small alef
is written at the same height as shadda, thus overwrapped,
instead of standing above shadda.

OpenType fonts Scheherazade and Lateef are OK with this point on
programs with pango. Somehow they do not have the height problem, either.
They can be reached at:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ArabicFonts&_sc=1
They are charge-free for non-commercial use.
# These two fonts cannot be used on firefox, almost at all.

In my previous mail, I carelessly wrote to your own email account in
addition to the Arabeyes mailing list. And you replied to me
personally, too. But it is better to talk in public to share with
everyone the knowledge what is already recognized and what is not.
If you wish, I will post these two messages to general at arabeyes dot org dot
(It's OK if you do it yourself, but such minor job is not for you.)

Thank you.

Oibane
------------------------------
From: Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya <meor dot ridzuan at ****>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:07:00 +0800

Oibane,
Attached is the updated font file. The updates are:

1. 16pt bitmap included, much better for screen reading.
2. Some bug fixed happens during printing.
3. Some initial work on kerning.

Known problem:
1. Printing of alef with hamza above. The hamza is not above for some
wiered reason. Tested platform: notepad (XP), and HP laserjet 4020.
Apprciate if you can test for other environment (Linux, different
printers etc).

2. Marking need more work.

> Still, there remains one problem which happens at least in pango-based
> applications. (Last month I updated pango from 1.8.x to 1.10.2. I know
> it has slight improvements, partly coming from fribidi updating.)
> When you put superscript alef U+0670 after shadda, the super small alef
> is written at the same height as shadda, thus overwrapped,
> instead of standing above shadda.

Yes, it is a known problem (actually, I missed it). Already fixed with
this font.

> In my previous mail, I carelessly wrote to your own email account in
> addition to the Arabeyes mailing list. And you replied to me
> personally, too. But it is better to talk in public to share with
> everyone the knowledge what is already recognized and what is not.
> If you wish, I will post these two messages to general at arabeyes dot org dot
> (It's OK if you do it yourself, but such minor job is not for you.)
>
> Thank you.
>
> Oibane

Yes, no problem. You can post this one as well. If you can, you can
post the font also so that others can have a copy.

Good luck.

Oibane