Re: Proposal for the Basis of a Codepoint Extension toUnicodeforthe Encoding of the Quranic Manuscripts

Thomas Milo wrote:

Meor's luadable effort has helped me to return to my original position:
encode graphemes, not glyphs. Keep the tanween graphemically intact, this
will improve searchability. So I recently changed my position regarding
tanween according to the following formula, that I hope this community will
endorse:

<vowel>=  fatha / dhamma / kasra
<modifier>= tamweem / sequentializer

For backward compatibility,

<vowel> <vowel> = fathatan / dhammatan / kasratan

Hmm. In my opinion, it would be both more useful and more accurate historically to simply have a couple of TANWEEN codepoints. If I'm not mistaken, tanween was originally marked using a small nuun and later evolved into the doubled vowel mark.

For example, using latin-1:

	TANWEEN = ñ
	TANWEEN IDGHAM = Ñ
	TAMWEEM = %

Examples (x = kha, ç = sheen, ² = shadda):

	kitaabuñ
	xuçubuÑ m²usan²ada#uÑ
	min% ba at d

Now search and sort works much better, and the rendering isn't all that hairy. Edit logic should also be simpler.

I wouldn't advise equating pairs of vowel marks with tanween marks at the level of encoding design.

-gregg