Re: Arabeyes -- a critique

assalaamu `alaykum

I dont' understand the self-flagellation and cries of doom that are from time
to time uttered here.

In the FOSS world 99% of developers are doing their (voluntary) work because
they enjoy it. If their work becomes dull or tedious they will stop. The same
applies, I believe, here, although there are some other incentives relating
to, perhaps, 'political' reasons. But primarily we/you work for the pleasure
of solving the problem, and the enjoyment of seeing the solution and people
using our software.

Take away that pleasure, or make the work painful enough, and the work will
stop.

Now, in respect of arabising something like OpenOffice, the primary emotion
one feels is pure pain. I checked out the source code and had a look. Even
compiling this 80MB beast is a feat in itself. For most types of work I could
just pick a small part of the app, equation rendering for example, and try to
improve it - perhaps I need to understand 5% of the code base at the most.
However, to arabise the code I need to get a good grasp of much larger
sections of the code. This is pure pain and just isn't repaid by the feelings
I might get if I ever managed to complete the job.

Incidentally, this is why so many OSS projects (arabic or not) are doomed to
be repeated and reinvented all the time - ploughing through millions of lines
of C to improve someone else's project is as dull as ditchwater.

Knowing this, why should I be concerned if other people are not arabising
OpenOffice? It's an awful job and one that is far easier for an OpenOffice
dedicated developer to do. He can go straight to the sections of code that
need
changing, etc. I don't demand that Thamer or some other arab should start
punishing themselves with this job because 'they should'. FOSS doesn't work
like that and it will be some time before it could. Perhaps if arab
governments start seeing 'the light' then they could pay people to do it.
Until then.. (the words 'hell' and 'freezing over' spring to mind')...

Until as mentioned elsewhere the people in the Middle East start to feel that
they should pay for using MSOffice etc, then there is no incentive for Red
Hat et al. to arabise linux as they can't compete with a free MSOffice/XP.

In conclusion I think that we should accept that, whatever the arabeyes
charter etc. says, we are here for personal reasons where pleasant emotions
are expected and to demand/expect that any group of people start punishing
themselves voluntarily is asking too much.

And by the way, it's not a lack of talent. The ability is here. It's the large
amounts of time and the willingness to undergo root canal surgery that is
missing.

I do agree that compared to the number of PC's in the arab world, the interest
in FOSS is surprisingly low. That is a huge topic for discussion in itself.

wassalaam
abdulhaq