Indexing (was Re: Questions about yeh, hamzah on yeh, alef maksura and dotless ba)

Oibane wrote:

Hi Oibane,

As for a keyword index, first, let's imagine an index of a book. Since

See "The Art of Indexing", by Larry S. Bonura: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471014494/103-1140357-1372615?v=glance&n=283155

A "permuted index" would be very useful for the Quran.  For an example, see

http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/6.1/doc/permuted-index.htm

GNU 'ptx' generates permuted indexes; it is part of textutils, so if you are running Linux or a BSD (or cygwin) you already have it. Another GPLed implementation is at:

http://www.math.utah.edu/docs/info/gptx_1.html

I haven't used either of these tools, so I don't know how well they will work with Arabic. But since they're GPL, we can always mod them to work with Arabic.

-gregg