Re: Thoughts about Translation...

--- Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> --- Ossama Khayat <okhayat at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> > ** What I mostly hate about translation (projects) **
> > that's what I can think of for now.. just _some_ thoughts anyway... ;-|
>
> So these are general pointers which most would agree with, what are you
> suggesting (if anything) that people can do to "ease" the pain ?
>
> A solution or a suggestion along with the problem statement goes a long
> way :-)

>1. Looooong 'msgid's! (e.g. Drakx.po)
- Problem: This on is really a pain. When ever a single word is change from
smallletters to CAPITALLETTERS I'd have to read the WHOLE thing just to make
sure nothing is added/removed. That really wastes alot of time.
- Solution: Strings _should_ be deviced to more than one, in a way that each of
them doesn't exceed 50 words if possible.

>2. Lack/no use of parameters to save time repeating! (some-debian/mandrake.po)
- Problem: When there are new packages added, their strings wouldn't be much
organized. They'll have lots of changes/additions/removals and so on. The
biggest problem would be if there is a repeated string like (for example):
  * Couldn't find package ABC.
  * Couldn't find package DEF.
  * Couldn't find package GHI.
  * (and it goes on.....)
Mostly, this would happen because there is no proper planning/vision for the
application, and its needs. So, first I would need this string only once. Then
I find that I need it again for a different 'package'.. and so on.
What would happen after all, that it would be replaced with a parameter, after
ALL the time we waste in repeatitively translating these strings.
- Solution: Properly plan the application and its needs (i18n/l10n) before
_even_ starting with coding!

>3. Frequent, not so necessary, changes/shuffling (e.g. drakoo.po or Drakx.po)
- I think the same solution of the previous point applies here too.

>4. Improper sentenses... mostly in all POs!!!
- Problem: Not all English can be translated to reflect the same meaning the
developer wants. Complex and poorly structured sentenses are really a pain in
the ass!!
- Solution:
    * Try to use _English_ sentenses, not slang!
    * Make sentenses more of sense and easier to understand.
    * Try to unify the use of terms like Execute, Start, Run.. etc
    * Spell check terms before they are published for translation.

I hope this helps ;-)

- Ossama