Fwd: Adding Arabic support to Ark Linux

Bero, I'm forwarding this on your behalf to solicit a wider response, do
please check the mailing-list archives for any replies if you opt not to
subscribe to the 'general' list.

Sorry for the delay.

 - Nadim

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://messenger.yahoo.com
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,
we'd like to add support for Arabic to Ark Linux (http://www.arklinux.org/).
Unfortunately none of us has a clue about Arabic - so we have a couple of
questions:
- You offer several Arabic fonts for download - do we need all of them, or
  are all but one optional? [We're trying to keep our base install small, so
  unless they're needed, we'd pick 1 or 2 fonts for the base install and put
  the rest on an add-on CD - same we're doing for all the extra iso-8859-1
  fonts]
- Is there anything special we have to do to get right-to-left support, or
  does the current KDE [3.3.1] take care of this by itself? Do we have to
  add any libraries?
- How do you input Arabic characters? Do you have "normal" keyboards,
  or do you need an IM (like Chinese or Japanese)? If the latter, what's IM
  would you recommend?
- Our installer is built with Qt/Embedded - is there any Arabic support for
  this? (Just displaying the characters is enough, we don't need any text
  input during installation)

Thanks,
bero