Re: Article on native language project

On Yau al-Thulatha 27 Sha`ban 1425 04:06 am, Ingrid Marson wrote:
> That's right - I'm interested in what the project has achieved so far,
> in  current technical issues you face and in what way development has
> been assisted by working together with the Hebrew language team.

Achievements:
------------------
The project has begun as a translation effort. Arabeyes via Anmar Oueja,
leader of the Arabic localization effort, has initiated the importing and
conversion of the original SGI files to .po files. The translation is then
completed through arabeyes.org via a team from King Abdul Aziz City for
Science and Technology (KACST) at Saudi Arabia. To my good luck I was the
leader of the team that time. Without the very generous help of Mr. Pavel
Janik, an open-source consultant and leader of the Czech team at
OpenOffice.org (http://blog.janik.cz/), who resolved all the issues we met
across (localization tools, JCA, builds, ...), we woudn't be able to do the
job properly. We reached a 100% translation which is now available with the
new version 1.1.3. During the testing face, we reviewed the translation vai 7
different builds for Linux and Windows which you can see here:
ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/devel/1.1.3

Screenshots can be found here:
http://art.arabeyes.org/OOo?newlang=en_US
Courtesy of Pavel Janik

Technical issues:
--------------------
This is a very important topic. OO.o is still facing many issues with regard
to Arabic support. You can find 15 important issues at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs in the OOo section. There are other issues
which is not reported yet. Without resolving those issues, I dare say OO.o is
not very useful for serious work for the Arabic communtiy. Unfortunately, the
problem seems to be with very few developers who work to resolve those
issues. Some of the issues are delayed to 2.0 milestone and some even lator.

Arabic and Hebrew:
-------------------------
In terms of Bidirectional support Arabic and Hebrew face the same problems
which is good since a problem solved for one language would automatically
serve the other language support. Still, Arabic faces more challenges like
shaping/joining which is not needed for Hebrew.

Finally:
With the many marketing ambitions revealed by OOo, I want to say the best
marketing plan to push this open-source suite is to resolve those issues.
Please, let us know if this info is not enough or you need something more
specific.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA