Re: Mandrake in Arabic

--- Chad Russell <chad dot russell at gmail dot com> wrote:
[...]
> I took your guys' advice and installed Mandrake 10.1 and fribidi and
> it works like a charm now (although KDE is not 100% translated, I'm
> not missing anything right?  arabeyes.org says the translation is not
> complete).

KDE is still far from complete. We continously suffer from a suffocating
shortage of volunteers and capable translators. Perhaps with the deployment of
Linux in that many schools will generate enough interest and generate a fresh
crop of translators.

[...]
> Am I correct in that Ximian Evolution is not translated at all?  This
> is our assumption so we are leaning towards KMail as it comes
> installed in KDE by default and has partial translation.

Actually its almost completely translated. I did a sizeable chunk of the
translation myself in fact, but that translation was recent so you find it in
Gnome 2.6 nor Mandrake 10.1. It should be there in Gnome 2.8. Though I think it
might be a good idea to go with KMail anyway, so as to keep everything "K" :-)

> As far as Mozilla, the page for Arabic Mozilla linked by both
> mozilla.org and arabeyes.org (http://mozilla.4-sms.com/) gives me a
> "Account Temporarily Disabled" message... strange... I emailed the
> technical contact from their whois entry earlier today but anyone know
> what's up with that? or a mirror for Arabic Mozilla?  I haven't had
> much luck.  Our fallback right now is Konqueror but we'd obviously
> prefer Mozilla.

I never heard of those guys (mozilla.4-sms.com). Perhaps that domain belongs to
Mr. Twaijry. Ayman or Nadim do you know anything about this?

Arabeyes is doing the Mozilla Arabization also. Currently we're only
translating Firefox, none of the other Mozilla.org apps. We're moving very
quickly indeed though and have a very good chance of being there in time for an
Arabic Firefox 1.0.

> Thanks very much for the responses,
> Chad Russell
> Align Media

And thank you for your efforts. Be sure to keep us posted with information and
questions.

Abdulaziz,