Re: Mandrake in Arabic

[...]
> --- Chad Russell <chad dot russell at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I work for a company that produces educational software; our software
> > is used in about 6000 schools in Saudi Arabia currently.

I had no idea there were that many schools in Saudi Arabia. Much less that
there were that many schools that used any form of computer technology
whatsoever :-)

> > Up to now we
> > have taught exclusively Windows software but are now preparing Linux
> > software for the students.  However in order to do this we need to
> > install Linux Mandrake in Arabic at our office.  I have installed
> > Mandrake 9.1 with Arabic language support and installed the arabeyes
> > truetype fonts located at:
> > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/arabeyes/ae_fonts1_ttf_1.1.tar.bz2
[...]
> > I have tried to install kde-i18n-ar.rpm but get an error saying it
> > can't find kconfig_compiler.  I haven't been able to find out much
> > information on kconfig_compiler, it is supposed to be in kdelibs, I
> > have installed kdelibs but still get the same error.

I don't think kde-i18n-ar is even needed. However, did you install fribidi? If
not then you need to do so. If that doesn't solve your problem, then the most
likely culprit is QT. I don't know what version of QT came with Mandrake 9.1
but perhaps proper Arabic support was not there yet. As Nadim suggested
upgrading to Mandrake 10+ will give you out of the box functionality with no
headaches.

I have nothing more I can suggest, but please if you have any further questions
do let us know. I myself am from Saudi Arabia and would like to know how this
turns out :-)

Abdulaziz,