Re: Arabic emails Subject and Sender

Nadim Shaikli wrote:

--- Abdallah <abd at techie dot com> wrote:

I wonder why arabic emails passsing through my RH9 + postfix + cyrus
are getting their Subject changed to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and Sender changed to
???????????????

I pop email using mail clients like (mozzila and outlook) and some have
the subject and sender correct.

Webmail client (apache 2 + squirrelmail) shows the above. Emails sent
through a mailform also exhibit the problem.

Have you seen this on your systems ?

How can I go about fixing it ?

Look into the encoding that is being used in the varlous applications
(or websites) that are not displaying Arabic correctly.  They might be
hardcoded to use values like us-ascii or similar.  To be safe, you should
always use UTF-8 in all your correspondance and tell those that mail you
to do the same.  Experiement a bit in that area and I'm sure something
will resolve - report back when that happens so that others might benefit.

Hope that helps.

- Nadim

Usually you get that in webmail in the list of mails. At this time they don't get the encoding caracter in the mail and just display in your default character set.
Then when you read the mail, they should read the header (Content-Type text/plain; charset=utf-8) and display the mail correctly. At least that's the way IMP/HORDE is working... and it's according standards.

In fact that's mainly why, even with writing utf-8, you may have problem to see arabic on mails. Because if you don't say in your mail that you're writing utf-8, it won't guess it. That's the reason lots of mail from the doc list have to be opened and change the encoding character... usually you write utf-8, but the webmails don't tell it (don't write the header correctly), so next generation of webmail should give you the choice of your character encoding... or use utf-8 by default.

by the way Nadim, when you write, it's coded us-ascii, which mean I cannot see the arabic correctly in mozilla, without opening it and change the encoding.

Regards
Armelle Nedelec