Re: Sequential Fathatan Final Form (Items 9 and 10)

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 19:41, Thomas Milo wrote:
> Salaam Mohammed,
>
> Regarding the logical or nominal order of the characters, it would help if
> you could explain a bit clearer why you think the Qur'an should be printed
> in modern spelling. I was not aware of this requirement.
>
> I have only seen Mushafs in manuscript and the singular typeset edition
> from Cairo, that place the fathatan (Arabic for: "two fatha's") on top of
> the letter that governs the other two cases of tanween as well. Below is a
> striking example from the famous Suhrawardi Mushaf written in Mamluki style
> that leave no doubt that Suhrawardi did not even remotely associate the two
> fatha's with the trailing alif:

  That leaves us with another problem, you have to support BOTH behaviors.

  BTW: This mamluki mushaf is not in popular use at all, the most popular
          mushaf today is the one printed by QuranComplex as long as the
          Shamarly and Haramain Masahef.

--
Mohammed Yousif
Egypt