Re: Sequential Fathatan Final Form (Items 9 and 10)

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 19:30, Mete Kural wrote:

> Doing the dynamic glyph substitution at the text
> client level would be a very redundant approach.
> Again, I am not that familiar with the way font are
> served in Linux, but in Windows all programs share
> Uniscribe functions to handle OpenType shaping
> behaviour.  There is no need to write this code in the
> text client.

 Uniscribe is not magic, it's has an API that you have to use for
 all your applications to support OpenType.

> For instance I can open up the dumbest
> text client in the world, NotePad, and still write
> Arabic text in elegant Quran'ic typography using the
> Arabic Typesetting font. Obviously NotePad knows
> nothing about complex Arabic shaping, it simply calls
> the Uniscribe functions for this shaping behaviour.

  That's what abdulhaq is talking about, calling Uniscribe API is
  not as obvious as it seems it still involves coding.

  Out of curiosity, what version of Windows are you using? I have been
  told that most applications doesn't support opentype tables
  For example, Office XP doesn't support any of the advanced features of
  OpenType (including layout tables)

> > Therefore, it can involve a lot of C++ code in fact.
> > This code resides (in
> > linux for instance) in Qt, Pango etc. etc. What
> > about apps that don't use
> > these librarys or where the libraries are not fully
> > compliant?

  Abdulhaq, I'm interested to know about that, the last time I checked
  Qt didn't support OpenType layout tables at all. Not sure about Pango
  but I tried gedit and it failed to handle OpenType tables.

> In order to support OpenType, you have to upgrade the
> text client to support OpenType, there is no other way
> around it. And yes it will take some programming to
> support OpenType. But once OpenType is supported then
> the text client can simply depend on a rendering
> engine to handle all shaping behaviour.

  But you still have to embed all the necessary functionality in every
  font you make.

> > On Windows you have uniscribe to do the job if the
> > programmer  accepts
> > default substitution behaviour. Is your solution
> > only for those willing to
> > pay the MS tax to view qur'aan;-)?
>
> No, of course not. OpenType is meant to be a
> cross-platform font format.

  Supporting only Mac and Windows, they call it cross-platform and yes
  FreeType can handle a subset of it but still it has patent problems.

  To be honest, I don't want to rely on thus proprietary technology in
  something as standard as Unicode. (You are essentially handing the
  Standard to Microsoft and Adobe here)

> This means that you can
> take the specification and implement it on any
> platform you wish. This Indian Linux group claims that
> they have succeeded in supporting OpenType on Linux,
> maybe you might want to contact them and ask for their
> help:
> http://www.ncst.ernet.in/projects/indix/technical_details.shtml
>
> They say they did this by adding OpenType font support
> in Xserver. So once OpenType support is part of the
> Xserver then text clients can simply call the
> necessary functions in Xserver to handle the shaping
> behaviour.

  I have heard of that but I think FreeType has better support.

--
Mohammed Yousif
Egypt