Re: Quranic Proposal - Dynamic glyph substitution with OpenType

> Good idea. Until the new floating hamza is added to
> Unicode (hopefully) using U+0621 for lam-hamza-alif
> and yaa-hamza-x sequences conditionally for Arabic
> would be  the most practical aproach. Although, does
> OpenType support substituting a lam-hamza-alif glyph
> when these three characters are encountered in a
> sequence? I thought there was also a rendering engine
> related problem in this case - but maybe my memory is
> failing me.

There may be a structural limitation in OpenType to do this, presently I am
waiting for my programmer to implement the solution for ACE. When and if
that works, I can turn around and look into OT.

If it cannot be done with OT or ACE, than we struck a serious deficiency in
enderering technology.

> > In the mean time, a proposal should be made to add a
> > new Arabic letter
> > floating hamza to the standard that is conditionally
> > equivalent to U+0621.
>
> This could be part of our joint proposal then. Also
> what about the new logical character for variant
> tanween cases? Do you have a description for such a
> potential character?

I am very much in favour of logical codes as additions to regular tanween.
The existing high meem can already be used, an new one for sequential
tanween must be introduced.

Also canonical equivalence between tanween ligatures fathatan, dammatan and
kasratan must be requested as representing the nominal values of fatha
fatha, damma damma and kasra kasra respectively.