Re: Quranic Proposal - Dynamic glyph substitution with OpenType

> In order to cut through the red tape, I suggest to
> build the correct
> Arabic-alone behaviour for hamza using U+0621. We
> successfully did that
> already for sequences like lam-hamza-alif. We are
> still working on sequences
> of the type yaa'-hamza-<any connecting letter> as in
> /yâ yaHyà/.

Good idea. Until the new floating hamza is added to
Unicode (hopefully) using U+0621 for lam-hamza-alif
and yaa-hamza-x sequences conditionally for Arabic
would be  the most practical aproach. Although, does
OpenType support substituting a lam-hamza-alif glyph
when these three characters are encountered in a
sequence? I thought there was also a rendering engine
related problem in this case - but maybe my memory is
failing me.

> In the mean time, a proposal should be made to add a
> new Arabic letter
> floating hamza to the standard that is conditionally
> equivalent to U+0621.

This could be part of our joint proposal then. Also
what about the new logical character for variant
tanween cases? Do you have a description for such a
potential character?

Thanks,
Mete