Re: Unicode Quranic Glyphs Proposal

On Yau al-Thulatha 19 Rabi` al-Thaani 1425 05:50 pm, Mete Kural wrote:
> > I took a quick look and concluded that the document
> > is a bit misguided. I
> > call it so, because Unicode does not encode GLYPHS,
> > it encodes CHARACTERS.

No no they are CHARACTERS not GLYPHS since they have different meanings. It's
not a matter of shape. Some one should explain this Mr. Thomas Milo (already
subscribed here) and others involved, am I wrong?

> > As you may have observed on the Unicode mailing
> > list, I just tabled this
> > subject. In observed, among others, that what this
> > proposal calls
> > "sequential fathatan" etc. can just as well be
> > called "repeated fatha" etc.,

You mean I need to put two fatha's one behind the others to represent it? Why
not? Umm!

> > There is no need to include ligatures including
> > trailing alifs etc., because
> > the Unicode standard is not a glyph list. The block
> > of Presentation Forms
> > should be ignored, it was a mistake.

What is the mistake? Presentation Forms? I think Unicode is something you need
a lot of reading to understand fully. :(

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status (MAPS)
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/mdkarabicsupport-en/
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA