Re: Typing Arabic in OSX (OpenOffice 1.1.2)

On Sunday, July 18, 2004, at 03:10 PM, Ossama Khayat wrote:

--- Yasser Al Tayyar <yasser dot tayyar at alwasatnews dot com> wrote:
Dear Mr. Khayat,

I have a problem in writing arabic text in OSX. i can read correctly but when
i switch the keyboare i could'nt write in arabic!!!

can you please help me in that?

Sorry, I'm not a Mac user nor have an idea about what could be the problem.
Anyway, I'm CC'ing this to our mailing list maybe someone with the knowledge
can help.

Make sure that arabic keyboard layout is installed on your desktop. 1. Preference Pane -> International -> Input Menu 2. Activate Arabic input menu

Start OpenOffice 1.1.2 (I downloaded the english version of OpenOffice 1.1.2 for Mac). If you could change the input menu on upper menu (your locale flag icon), then your application is ready for another input menu/keyboard layout. Make sure your OpenOffice is capable of CTL (complex text layout) via Tools -> Language -> CTL

On my OpenOffice 1.1.2 menu, I can change US flag to green crescent moon (arabic input menu). And then I type arabic onto OpenOffice Writer.

*MacOS X 10.2.8 + X11 Beta 3 + OpenOffice 1.1.2 for X11*
--

--jim.