Re: Writing simple sentence in arabic

--- Mohammed Sameer <uniball at gmx dot net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 02:06:13PM -0700, Mikael Claesson wrote:
> > I'm sorry if this is not the right forum. I'm trying
> > to write "kifalek", meaning something like "how are
> > you?" in arabic on my Gnome machine (have Windoze
>
> keefak ;-)

Bare in mind that this is NOT the proper way to greet in Arabic as
its very dialect specific - its the equivalent to "whazup dude", if
you will.  Since you mentioned T-shirts, etc are you looking for
a proper Arabic greetings ?

> > aswell). I've managed to get arabic keyboard support,
> > and in GEdit I can get random squigglies by typing on
> > the keyboard. I know no arabic at all.
> >
> > I have the sentence written down on a piece of paper,
> > so I know what it should look like. Is there some
> > point-and-click tool for writing arabic? And which
> > font should I use? Is there anything else I should
> > think of?
> >

> I don't think that i know about such a thing.
> Though i can code something like this if required ;)
> any votes out there ?

I think there are plenty of java and javascript applets out there
that could be used (QaMoose has one - created by M.Yousif, but QaMoose
has not been restored yet on arabeyes.org).  In short, if there is a
vote, I'd vote NO (there are more important and unique things we need
done).  If you still need such a feature, click on the little keyboard
on this page,

  http://www.almisbar.com/dict_page_a.html