Re: Donations

----- Original Message -----
From: elzubeir at arabeyes dot org (Mohammed Elzubeir)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 22:01:22 -0700
To: General Arabization Discussion <general at arabeyes dot org>
Subject: Re: Donations

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:17:58PM +0800, Ossama Khayat wrote:
> > Assalamou Alaikom everyone,
> > I've sent an email some time back about paying some donations to the Arabeyes project.
> > (http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/general/2003/June/msg00030.html)
> > Still I didnt get any feed back other than from Nadim.
> > Would someone (Mohamamd?) please provide me with some help on how would I be able to contribute with the amout I have so far ($300)?
> >

> Salam,
>
> Ossama, I sincerely don't know how to handle this. We have talked about
> this many times and it is a very complicated problem. The problem is
> that we don't want any donations to Arabeyes to go to a personal bank
> account. That means, it cannot be addressed to a person or to be cashed
> to an individual. This left us with the PayPal option (at least it's
> easier to track).

I was checking with one of the Webmaster friends, and he told me that he
is using CashU cards for his website (www.cashucard.com), which is a
facility to buy a card from a shop which has equivelent amount of money
you can pay.

I don't know if this works for our project.

> The other option (and the more 'final') solution would be to incorporate
> Arabeyes and give it legal status. This would allow us to open bank
> accounts under the Arabeyes name. Since I have been to Bahrain and now
> Dubai,UAE I have met with many lawyers. The consensus I have received
> from my discussions about the project is that this is going to be a very
> long and complex process. Arabeyes is not "tangible" as an organization
> and the whole purpose of it is very strange and suspecious (money
> laundering, terrorism, etc). The concept of Open Source and volunteerism
> in that way is simply too radical for the legal framework of these
> countries. What can I say?
>
> The last time Nadim and I were talking about this and we decided that he
> would check out registering us as a non-profit organization in the US. I
> hope it would not be complicated given the current political environment
> (but I bet you it is less complicated than doing it here). Once we are
> registered there, it may be easier to get us registered here (in Dubai).

That would be great. I hope we could do something to make it easier for
more people to donate.

> Until then, I am open to suggestions.. as I really don't know how else
> to handle this.

OK, this is what I could get so far ;)

> Thanks
> Mohammed Elzubeir