Re: Arabeyes Marketing/PR Project Proposal

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 11:45, Isam Bayazidi wrote:

> Salam All..
>   Below is a new project proposal, that need alot of polishing/definition
> and so by all those who can help:
>
> Arabeyes Marketing/Public Relations Team/Project

Marhaba Isam and all

The same themes have been stirring up in my mind for the last couple of weeks
(since I registered)... thanks for providing me with a springboard to finally
jump in!

On and off, I've been keeping an eye on this project's developments since I
first 'stumbled' across the site sometime late last year. From the very first
moment, it has been my intent to support and contribute to something I've
been looking forward to for several years: an active, productive and
supportive linux community of Arabic speakers. However, being an end user
with limited programming skills I couldn't easily slot into a pre-defined
role. Of course there is always translation. The only problem is that I would
have probably spent less time accomplishing and more time self-debating
whether X is a valid translation or (worse) is yet another modern perversion
of the Arabic language. I must commend here the folks who put together the
Arabic Documentation Standards for defining a linguistic framework within
which translation efforts proceed. That a document of its type exists at all
is quite telling of the calibre of this resource-constrained group. Well done
folks!

But back to the point... Any project's livelihood is as much a result of the
'buzz' it creates as anything else. This is not just a reformulation of  old
philosophical debates of the kind "If we can't see the other side of the
moon, does it really exist?" It is, in fact, a truism for Free/Libre and Open
Source projects in general where long-term growth and success are mostly a
result of continued, differentiated utility and overall project visibility.

As with the translation folks, prior to setting any work plans, it would be
quite important to clearly set some initial definitions: Objectives,
stakeholders and process.

OBJECTIVES (or Goals)
What are PR efforts required for? And in what priority?
In other words, is it to get more brains working on the project (developers,
documenters, etc)? To secure material resources (web hosting, bandwidth,
etc)? Get products distributed (via Debian, Red Hat, Mandrake, etc)? Is there
a special issue that requires participation of other parties, such as
definition of and agreement on a certain standard? This has already been
touched upon, but I believe we need to be more specific in deliverables, and
prioritise them in importance.
Objectives should be tangible, clear and directly contributing to the bottom
line. They will also serve as a metric by which success of the PR process is
measured.

STAKEHOLDERS
Who are the main stakeholders? How can they contribute to further the Arabeyes
cause? How should each be approached (passive information, active engagement,
etc..?

PROCESS
Various duties have already been mentioned. The type of process is clearly
dependent on the required objectives and the audience.

I very much see this as an area where I can contribute to, both locally in
Oman and as a member of Arabeyes. However, being a newcomer you can see that
I currently have more questions than answers, and would therefore much
appreciate steer and guidance from others members on these issues.

Regards,
Ra'id Al-Jamali