Re: Opera & Arabic

--- Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 01:44:12PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > --- Isam Bayazidi wrote:
> > >
> > > As far as I can recall .. Opera is not Open Source .. or at least this
> > > is my understanding ..
> >
> > It should not preclude us from lobbying for the addition of Arabic support.
> >
> > My 0.02 euro's :-) worth.
> >

> I am personally not interested in Opera at all. It is not Open Source and
> there are plenty of other alternatives that deserve our attention. When we
> run out of 'Open Source' applications to work on, maybe we can look into the
> commercial world.. but as far as Arabeyes is concerned, Opera should not be
> of any interest. As Hicham has pointed out, Mozilla, Galeon, Konqueror..
> those deserve our attention. Localization work for Mozilla has not started..
> why look into Opera?

I Agree with you, Hicham and Isam - again, what I was getting at is a means
to galvanize a group of people to work as lobbyists to raise awareness of
our needs and our shear existence and wants.  Those that haven't lifted a
finger yet to help this cause (by creating logos/art-work for arabeyes, by
translating files, by recruiting people, by arabizing programs, by coding
new programs, etc) should at the least feel a bit of murmur in their
stomaches and ought to consider firing off an email or two a week in an
organized manner to show our dissatisfaction with these discriminating
companies and their products.

I guess I should have made it clear from the beginning that I wasn't looking
to distract those that are already active, but was looking to get thoughts
and organization from those that are lurkers, shadow-makers and weavers :-)

Any thoughts along those lines (be it specific to Opera or not) ?

> And this is coming from someone who has actually purchased a license from
> Opera ;)

Should have known better :->