Re: I've discovered a way to show arabic windows file names in gtk2 applications (KDE ALSO)

My Inbox Happily Received This From ammer @ Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:14:26 +0300

> Mohammed Sameer wrote:
>
> >My Inbox Happily Received This From Mohamed Aser @ Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:12:49 -0500

> >>عظيم جداً , لقد حللت واحده من أهم مشاكل لينكس العربي :-))))
> >>لقد جربت الطريقة وعملت مع نوتيلوس
> >>ولكن طالما ان المشكلة ليست من الكرنل فبالتأكيد هناك طريقة مشابهه لبرامج كيدي
> >>مثل كونكيورر , أتمنى أن نكتشفه سريعاً
> >>

> >I really can't say more than "Thank God"
> >Here is a screenshot of konqueror showing Arabic windows file names
> >$ export LC_ALL=UTF-8
> >and use the mount command as:
> >mount -t auto /dev/hdxy /mnt/foo -oiocharset=utf8
> >IT REALLY WORKS
> >
> >All the stuff is in "qtextcodec.cpp"
> >It searches for the list of encodings as follow:
> >LC_ALL then LC_CTYPE then LANG
> >I can't say more than that as an explanation because i don't understand Qt internals

> I am sad, It didn't work for me, please are you sure for the steps?
>
> I am using KDE 3.0.4 on mandrake 9

strange,
i'm also using mandrake 9.0
The problem is that i don't have enough experience with Qt internals

ok here is the output of the mount command

/dev/hda1 on /mnt/win_c type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8)
/dev/hda5 on /mnt/win_d type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8)
/dev/hda6 on /mnt/win_e type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8)
/dev/hda7 on /mnt/win_f type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8)
/dev/hda8 on /mnt/win_g type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8)

you see i've mounted the partitions using -oiocharset=utf8
then:
$ export LC_ALL=UTF-8
$ konqueror &

The font i'm using is tahoma

But here is the problem:
when i do that, i am not able to write arabic in kword, probably because we are modifying the encoding, and guess what ? the only arabic letter that can be written is the "lam alef" !!!!!
i think the solution is to modify Qt to let it grab the encoding from another variable, or to say that it's not possible with KDE!

--
-- Katoob Main Developer