Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:25:06 +0100
From: "Chahine M. Hamila" <mch at chaham dot com>
To: general at arabeyes dot org
Subject: Re: How to encode image produced by a recognition system?

Nia Azniah a *crit :

> You had the point, chahine. Friends of mine have already done all the OCR phases and segmented the manuscripts into separating letters (in arrays). My
>    job is to transform the arrays into encoded characters so that the manuscripts can be saved in codes which may save the storage.Your idea to train every
>    letter is good and acceptable but it seems complex enough though. Is there any other possible and less complex solution for it? (Why previous arabic OCR
>    researchers always left this subject out of their reports?)

It looks like there are some reports published on IEEE (I don't have an
account there so I can't check). None on ACM or any other scientific
search engine I am aware of.
In any case, I am afraid your only way is ann (well, in fact I guess it
should be possible to do it otherwise, but this is the way OCR has been
made for decades now;) and if you study a bit of theory of artificial
neural networks you'll see that they're indeed very suitable for that
task).
It is not that complex though if your character arrays are already
there, as you only have to code the nn and train it which is pretty
trivial. Maybe a bit of looking could even guide to a free software
library implemeting generic nns and save you a couple of days coding?

>    Anyway thanx Nicholas for trying to help. But if i have to type the manuscripts into text file manually, then this project is meaningless.. Another thing is ..for
>    your information, the Malays still use the 'old malay'/Jawi script until now. Even their children are also being taught how to read and write it in school but
>    they just don't use it widely in daily business.

Relieving to know;) Let's hope it gets back to daily business;)

Salaam,
Chahine

----------------- End of Forwarded message ------------------