Basics

Gentlemen, Let me introduce myself: My name is Emile Khouri. I started, back in 1978 a company in New York and registered in its name "arabix", the first Arabic Unix. We were working on Unix version IV, slowly moving, as ATT did, to UNIX V. Unix did not fare well. But the product was issued for SCO UNIX, the only then available commercial version of Unix for PC’s. We were successful selling plenty of copies. Unix did not succeed on the commercial market. You know the story of Microsoft. Now it is coming back to being « a la mode ». I am very happy to learn that you guys are working on it and moving in what I think is the right direction. I would very much like to participate in this effort. I think I qualify as what many call people « guru ». I have never stopped thinking about how best to make such a project work. I certainly hope to share these thoughts with whoever cares to implement them under the OSF concept. This said, I have several questions : 1- Where on earth is « arabeye » located. The US, Saudi, Beirut, Sudan ? 2- How is it organized: Meaning how do people take a decision about HOW a program is written. I am referring to certain standards that need to be formulated and published. 3- How can one interface with this central planning body of people ? I now live in Beirut, Lebanon. I will appreciate setting up a mechanism for communications on this subject. Looking forward to your reply, I wish you all the best, and a lot of luck e. Khouri