so sorry for this long email,but I guess it deserves a look

Title: ITP.net > Features > Technology > Letting in Linux >

  Home | News | Features | Product Reviews | Competitions | Subscribe | Corporate | Search | موقع عربي
Click now to shop online
FEATURED CHANNELS
نسخة عربية ITP.net
NEWS HOMEPAGE
ALL COMPETITIONS
IT & BUSINESS EVENTS
WEB INDEX
IT JOBS
CHANGE LANGUAGE
   SEARCH ITP.net
Can't find what you're looking for on the Home Page? Try searching ITP.net:

Click to Win
   ITP MAGAZINES
Free subscriptions for qualified professionals and huge online discounts. Subscribe now!

Business.com Arabic Business.com English ACN CommsMEA CRN Digital Studio Mobile Executive Network Middle East T2 Windows Arabic Windows English T2

   THIS MONTH'S ISSUES
   FREE NEWSLETTER
Enter your e-mail address to receive our newsletter

   Mapping its own course
According to Dr. Ahmed Tantawy, the Linux movement in the local market is gathering momentum. This should be boosted when IBM completes Arabisation work during 2002.
The extensive use of Linux has also helped the bank reduce its hardware expenditure. Until last year, the bank was still using 286 machines in some places to run a character-based module of the bank’s core banking application. “The application we designed was suitable for running host machines. We found that we had to buy fat machines, just because Windows needs fat machines,” says Pillai.

However, the same ‘fat’ Intel machines are now running Linux. The additional memory of the Intel boxes accelerates the performance of the Java applications running on the open OS. “We are finding ways to utilise those resources. We have found that Java under Linux runs better than Java under Windows,” he adds.

Habib Bank owes its platform independence to the extensive Java development that has been ongoing since the mid-90s. The bank’s entire IT infrastructure is based on a n-tier architecture, with every single application — even down to the app that prints cheque books — internally developed using Java.

The bank’s core banking application consists of 18 software modules handling different core elements of the business. The suite of self-contained applications — internally described as ‘the banking enterprise’ — handles “everything from the tellers to the Internet banking application,” says Pillai. “If it’s not in the banking enterprise it means we don’t do that service just yet.”

The internal programming work also stretches to the development tools, which the 15-strong IT team built from early Java Development Kits (JDKs). Prior to the introduction of Java in 1996, the bank had been developing its banking applications using a mixture of C++ and a more robust proprietary language called hPLUS. The migration from hPLUS to Java was “relatively easy,” as there was strong similarities between the programming languages. However, the bank felt the need to develop its own Java tools that were optimised for the existing architecture. “We wanted to mimic the architecture in Java, so we started writing our own tools,” explains Pillai. “We brought one virtual machine that interpreted our hPLUS byte-code into Java so that we didn’t have to re-write everything from scratch.”

Since the initial conversion to Java, the bank’s IT team has constructed its internal Java component framework, which enables it to pull together already existing elements of code to rapidly deliver an application. The development cycle has been cut “tremendously,” says Pillai. “We saw the freedom of Java, we saw a language that was going to be supported by the industry. We saw the capability that Java gave us to accelerate development time and help simplify the architecture,” he adds.

The strict adherence to Java development has resulted in a strong sense of platform and vendor independence. Although different from most other organisations in the region, Pillai believes the internal development mantra has resulted in a more reliable and closely integrated IT architecture. “We have avoided any dependence on standalone applications,” says Pillai.

“Many banks have multi-vendor dependencies… when they want to make changes to their environments they have to be careful not to disrupt other systems. That is one of the major differences here — by having everything developed in Java we are not dependent on any vendor sessions [code]… any machine can run the [core banking applications,]” he adds.

Pillai shrugs off suggestions that internal development is both a time-consuming and expensive road map to follow, particularly with the Internet pressuring businesses in all areas to deliver solutions rapidly. In October 2000, Habib Bank AG Zurich development team delivered SMS banking, secure WAP services and Internet banking to its customers. More recently, HBZ became the first bank to offer an online letter of credit.

The timely delivery of such services proves firstly that the internal development track does work and secondly, that the HBZ’s architecture is both flexible and scaleable. “The IT architecture has to be decided on… in our environment if the architecture doesn’t support something then we don’t introduce the service,” says Pillai.

“We can’t just deploy an application outside the architecture… [Our] approach might take a little longer, but we know that when we actually deliver the solution we will reap the rewards quickly,” he adds.

Maintenance of the bank’s strong development programme the skills of its developers is vital. Considering the local dearth of Linux and Java development skills one would assume that the corporate bank had invested heavily in training. However, HBZ has bucked the trend and relies on information available on the Internet and the ingrained computing science knowledge of its development team. According to Pillai, much of the available local training isn’t up to scratch. “If you have that basic computing science knowledge, you can learn technologies without taking expensive courses,” says Pillai. “A typical example is Java — if you want to learn Java the best place to go is the Internet and Sun’s site.”

With in-house expertise being relied on to support the existing environment and prepare for the introduction of further services there is always going to be pressure on IT resources. In terms of support, Habib Bank does hold a support contract with Sybase and it has “a good working relationship with Sun.” However, as the entire architecture has been developed in-house, HBZ already believes it has the best support personnel available.
   Advanced Options
 Print this story
  E-mail this story

© 2001 The Information & Technology Publishing Co. Ltd.