Re: Translation of GNOME 2-22 starts [was: Gnome Translation Report: gnome-2-22]

2008/1/10, Djihed Afifi <djihedlists at googlemail dot com>:
> Salam,
>

> With this email I am signalling the start of the translation process
> of GNOME 2-22. The new modules for the next release have been settled,
> and the strings are more or less finalised, except for a few changes
> in the future.

Great, can't wait to start :-)

> I have been quiet busy in the last few week with fixing various RTL
> and Arabic bugs in GNOME. Expect a few fixes in the next release. I
> will continue on this work so unfortunately I won't have much time for
> translation.

That's brilliant. Are you aware of the Rhythmbox bug where if you play
a song with English tags, the Song name, Artist name, and Album name
of the current song are in reverse order?

Currently the tags are, from right to left: 'Album name' from 'Artist
name' by 'Song name'

This of course is wrong, the tags should be reversed. 'Song name' by
'Artist name' from 'Album name'. Note that this only happens in the
Arabic interface with English tags. With Arabic tags, they are
displayed in the correct order.

Try it yourself, just launch Rhythmbox and play an English tagged song
in it. The song name should be at the right of the window.

> It would be very good if we could complete this release as soon as
> possible. I would like to dedicate the last 2 weeks before the release
> to strict Quality Assurance and Translation Revision. I have built the
> whole new GNOME from sources and so I expect to test and review most
> translations.

Great! I have grown aware of many mistakes we make during translation
and I would love an opportunity to take a closer look at the
translations.

Also, can we please give some attention to the issue of local numbers?
Currently, as Khaled Hosny told me, we have to go through all the
files by hand and change them to use local numbers. I have done this
with rhythmbox, but the results were incomplete. We have to change all
the files. This is a very important issue IMHO.

> We're currently very good in the rankings, so we're not very far off.
> Please free to assign yourself any of the uncompleted packages in the
> previous email, and let me know.
>
> http://l10n.gnome.org/releases/gnome-2-22
>
> If we get this right and reviewed in time I'd try to market the next
> release for mainstream Arabic users. Newspapers and magazines welcome.

Yay! Go team! Marvelous job, everybody.

> PS. Do you find these automated reports useful? Shall I make them
> weekly? monthly?

As frequent as you can without being spammy :-D They are very useful, thanks.

--
Ahmad Farghal | ahmad dot farghal at gmail dot com