Re: CVS: gdm2.gnome-2-16.ar.po

Youssef Chahibi wrote:
On Wednesday 25 October 2006 17:30, Mohamed Magdy wrote:
Someone said before "Names shouldn't be translated" ... and I agree with
him/her ... please I was talking about translating abbreviations not the
names ... let's leave them in English as is ...... or if you feel you
have to .. see how OOo's name is written in Arabic ... or Mozilla .. can
you translate it without laughing? التنين الأحمر  though I love the
following translations .. they make sense but don't use them , I saying
it .. don't use them .. they are names ...

Firefox --> ثعلب النار

Thunderbird --> طائر البرق

Yes, you feel very powerful when you are using these extraordinary
creatures :)

You're right unless we are the inventors. Also, see how Firefox and Thunderbird are translated to Japanese http://www.mozilla-japan.org/ even if they don't use a latin script.

I want to add something regarding translating the apps and programs names. IMHO I think these names are marks (aka trade marks) usually we don't translate them even if we can translate them like:
Those we can't translate مفيش معنى مقابل
Adidas أديداس Ferrari فيراري

Now look at these:
Jaguar (Cars) ليث
Red-Label العلامة الحمراء
Do you heard once anyone calling a Jaguar car with anything but Jaguar? Have you went to a bar and heared someone saying:
واحدة من أم علامة حمرا لو سمحت

Now if we look at the names for brands (cloths, food, electricity appliances, Cars) and we wonder why the names ?
Marketing and recognition is the answer. Now tell me what if someone googled GDM will get? what if he googled جي دي إم? or worse جي دي ام. without hamza? please try it you will like it.

To make this short I would suggest leaving the apps in their English names for better support and avoiding misspelling issues.
imagine the searching for GDM with few Arabic words like :
ما هو GDM? it would give back the Arabic sites with GDM in it ( as far as I can tell ).
Yesterday we had no Arabian made apps so took it as it is. Today we have Katoob (it's Arabian name). Tomorrow who knows may be we will have a whole Arabian made desktop.