Re: Words

Salam,

I think if the translated website is for ordinary arabic person
which has no idea about GNU or GPL
I suggest GNU= مشروع (مؤسسة) البرمجيات الحرة
GPL = اتفاقية الترخيص الحرة أو اتفاقية سماحية النشر والتعديل

from my experience in talking to arabic public :
They didn't read or try to understand any of the english terms even if translated to arabic

so Gnu is not unix جنو ليس يونيكس means nothing to tradition arabic

Thanks
Hamed
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregg Reynolds"
Subject: Re: Words

Chahibi Youssef wrote:
Please how do you translate these words ? Community   GPL

 GNU

I would recommend that you transliterate GPL (جي/بي/أل؟) and GNU (غنو/جنو/قنو؟) and then provide a gloss explaining the meaning.
In my experience you can't really "translate" acronyms very well from English to Arabic.

In English one (or I at least) says "Gee Pee El" for GPL, and "gunoo" for GNU ("g" as in "go").

GNU = Gnu's Not Unix.  Check the website (http://www.gnu.org).  I believe they claim it is the world's first recursive acronym.
I'm not sure you can do that in Arabic.  But there's no reason you can't invent something, so long as it has the same meaning.

GPL = General Public Licence.  Note that the full expression is "GNU General Public License".  GPL does not mean "GNU Public
License".

That's actually kind of a tough one I never thought of before. "General" and "Public" are both usually translated as "عامة", but I
don't think "الرخصة العامة العامة" really works very well.  Maybe "الرخصة العومية للعامة"?  Or maybe الرخصة الحرة العامة captures
the spirit of it better.

See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

-gregg