Re: Translating Action Apps into Arabic?

Thanks for agreeing to collaborate on this.  I am happy to be directly active in the translation and to maintain the translation project of course (I will do this on weekends and in my spare time).  Honza has been kind enough to provide occasional technical assistance and will respond in time re PHP and PO files.

One thing: as I was telling Nadim, I have an MA in Sociology and 'am an "accidential" techie who is now feeling her way through Open Source technologies.  So, beyond my Arabic translation and layperson's technical abilities, I'd appreciate any technical help I can get.

Please advise as to next required steps.

All the best,

Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <aalarfaj at gmail dot com> wrote:
I'm moving this thread to the documentation and translation list. Its
the list we use for all translation-related discussions.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 00:41:20 -0800 (PST), Rai'da Al-Zu3bi
wrote:

> Dear Arabeyes:
>
> Marhaba. I'm writing to see whether anyone on the list would be interested
> in working together to translate the the Action Apps administrative
> interface http://www.apc.org/actionapps/english/general/about.html Would
> Arabeyes be interested in hosting this process?

We are extremely short on translators, but I for one am always for
more translation projects. If we don't translate them, its unlikely
anyone else will. If you want to host the project here though, you
must be directly active in the translation. Its unlikely you will get
hundreds of volunteers wanting to help. You also will have to maintain
this translation peoject of course.

> This is APC ActionApps is an Open Source online content management system
> (CMS) for use by voluntary organizations and non-profits around the world.
> To date, it's been translated into English, Spanish, Czech, Slovak,
> Hungarian, Romanian, Japanese and German and now, inshallah, into Arabic.
>
> For more information, please see below email and attachment from ActionApps
> programmer Honza Malik from E-Connect, Czech Republic.
[...]

We seem to have another problem. The files we (and by we I largely
mean you :-) are supposed to translate are PHP files. We have a policy
that translateable files residing on our CVS must be .po files. There
are many reasons for this. Mostly its that having all the files in one
format helps us with scripting and creating word lists and searching
for terms quickly.

Looking at one of the PHP files, I see they were generated with a
gettext tool. Could it be possible that they used to be PO files
before these PHPs were generated? If so, great. We can use the POs for
translation. If not, we need to find a way to convert from PHP->PO and
PO->PHP. I dont think such a script will be hard to put together.

Abdulaziz,