Fwd: [i18n] aspell spell checkers and translation

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pablo Saratxaga <pablo at mandrakesoft dot com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:48:22 +0100
Subject: [i18n] aspell spell checkers and translation
To: cooker-i18n <cooker-i18n at linux-mandrake dot com>

Kaixo!

Probably some of you already noticed; but with the new version of
aspell spell checker (included in 10.1) the range of covered languages
increased a lot, and it is no longer limited to languages in latin1
encoding but handles unicode as well (the only limitation being that
the total number of characters be less than 255, which is satisfied by
most languages, even by korean in decomposed letters form.

So, that means that a lot of languages that previously were translated
without the help of a spell checker can now benefit of it.

It is very simple, just install the aspell-xx corresponding to your
language and tell kbabel to use it.

Note however that for some languages the wordlist hasn't been fully
checked, and has mainly been created by collecting data on the web;
of course you can help to improve it, if you are interested I can
help you understand how it works; it isn't that difficult.

The old ispell has been removed from the distribution, as it no
longuer provides any functionality not provided by aspell (and ispell
is not being developped anymore anyway). If you have some personal
ispell dictionnaries in your computers, you need to convert them to
aspell format, ispell wordlists using flags need to rewrite the xxx.aff file
into a xxx_affix.dat in a different format, but it is quite easy to
do it (aspell help tells how to do, you can also write me for help
if you need).

Aspell not only support mor languages and utf-8, but it uses better
algorithms, making better suggestions, it can be told about phonetic
rules (that makes a big improvement for phonetic typos), and it learn
from your corrections, so when a same error is encountered later,
the suggestions given are even better.

More info at http://aspell.net/

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/          PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]

--
Youcef R. Rahal