Re: installing Linux

--- Rai'da Al-Zu3bi <raida_lists at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> Thanks so much.  Will do this weekend.  Just one
> question: will this partition my drive or turn it into
> a Linux machine? If it's the latter, any tips on how
> to keep both Windows and Linux? Sorry this is turning
> into an on-line course on Linux installation =)

This is all an investment in getting people to the RIGHT
side of the fence :-)  You have 2 options, you can install
linux on your HardDrive and have it be the sole partition
there (ie. it will occupy and take-up the entire drive) or
you can have a dual-boot machine.  Your best bet if you want
to go the dual-boot route is to already have your windows
installation there and then you simply load-in the Linux CD
and follow the directions (you'll want to make sure you have
a partition you can install linux on and you can repartition
your drive using fdisk and/or "partition-magic", etc).  Once
Linux is installed, it will detect the other windows partition
and add it to a "lilo" boot menu which will give you the option
to choose what it is that you want to boot into once you turn the
machine on.

There are a number of very good sites out there on the web that
are worth a quick read (google is your friend); here is one,

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Installation-HOWTO