Re: Mandrake Manuals

--- Youcef Rabah Rahal <rahal at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Friday 21 May 2004 10:35, Ahmad Tarek wrote:
> > Second, I know some persons from cuLUG (Cairo Univ. Linux User Group)
> > who want to translate Mandrake command Line Manual as they think it
> > will help others to learn Linux. So, is it located in arabeyes cvs??
> > and can it be done under arabeyes support to be well organized. I
> > think arabeyes is the base for Arabic translation so all translations
> > must be done under its umbrella.
>
> What do you mean by manuals ? Man pages or README pages ? The man pages don't
> work now in Arabic. So it's kind of useless and a waste of time to translate
> them now. The README pages are only 3 to 5 small HTML pages (and partly
> translated).

I remember reading that you can view Arabic manpage via the browser and
it all looked fine (sorry don't have a reference and/or a link to point
to for instructions) plus we need to add proper Arabic support to nroff/etc
so that Arabic manpages can be viewed within terminals (that needs to be
added to our global todo list !!).  Is it a good idea to start translating
Manpages ?  Well, I'm not sure - if the need is there and the people are
hell-bent on doing it (ie. they won't work on anything else but manpages)
then yes else maybe not as there are other pending things.

If this work commences, I see no reason why Arabeyes won't host it (a proper
request needs to be mailed to 'contact' for consideration though).

> In any case, ask them to register for an account with us.

I second that - all those interested in helping should/must register
(and get subscribed on the various mailing-lists to commence their
assistance).