Re: Translating CD-ROM

--- Muhammad Alkarouri <malkarouri at yahoo dot co dot uk> wrote:
[...]
> I am not sure that you mean geometry here in terms of disk geometry.
> hard disk is divided in cylinders, sectors and tracks. Incidentally,
> your translation of CD risks the confusion of disks with cylinders,
> as
> in 'my us6uwanah consists of 4865 us6uwanah' :)

Aaaah, I see what you mean. That shuts me up I guess :)

You see everyone? I'm not adamant about my own opinions! I can change
my mind! ;)

[...]
> For those who hadn't guessed yet, I am in favour of قرص for disk..

Well you have many kinds of disks, hard disks, compact discs, floppy
disks. We can use "qurs" for all of them and would say "qurs salb",
"qurs marin" and "qurs mudmaj". The first two are fine, but the last
one is a little too, how shall I put this... annoying? I think Elzubeir
agrees with me on this one. What shall it be? SeeDee? I dont like that
one either. When you write it in Arabic "سيدي" it could be read as
"my master". Now I'm sure it won't take anyone more than 5 seconds to
figure it out, but those five seconds and can be an annoyance.

I'm going back to qurs mudmaj until the QAC comes to this word.

Abdulaziz,