Re: Translating CD-ROM

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 09:59, Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj wrote:
> Well, any disk is, by definition, a cylinder. I guess you could say its
> a cylinder of neglegible height but a cylinder just the same. I know
> what your thinking, its not about geometry here.

I am not sure that you mean geometry here in terms of disk geometry. A
hard disk is divided in cylinders, sectors and tracks. Incidentally,
your translation of CD risks the confusion of disks with cylinders, as
in 'my us6uwanah consists of 4865 us6uwanah' :)

> Anyway, I've already made the changes, can we just give this new word a
> shot at least?

I am not in favour of 'giving it a shot'. You cannot use a word and
then, if it is not suitable, retire it later. If QAC agrees that
us6uwanah is a good word, so be it. And other translations need to come
in line with you.

For those who hadn't guessed yet, I am in favour of قرص for disk..

salam,
muhammad alkarouri