Re: re [QAC] A few translation/standardization issues

On Saturday 31 January 2004 10:35, Arafat Medini wrote:

> Same for me in every point.

Good. Others ?

> Well ok maybe for the last point I make some research and try to
> pronounce the word as it is pronounced in the other language so for eg.
> for shanghai I don't write شنغ هاي but شان هي which is the real chinese
> pronounciation, and many examples like that with names of apps names of
> ppl etc...

This is strange.

I think it is good that you're doing that for unusual names (I mean those
which have not a common spelling in Arabic). But, writing Shanghai as شان هي
is rather confusing. Since I was a child I have always crossed the spelling
as
شنغهاي، شانغاي، إلخ
So if I come to cross شان هي in the GNOME interface I will not understand what
city it is, aboveall if there's no Latin name beside it... Here's another
example: Paris. How do you write it ?
باريس
as it is always written in Arabic or باري like the French people pronounce it
? I think we have to stick with the first one, because it is already the
common spelling/pronounciation in Arabic.

Also, if we transliterate names as we pronounce them it _will_ generate some
mistakes. For example, take a french name. How do you pronounce it ? The
English way or the French (original) way ? What happens when you don't know
French so you can only pronounce it the English way (which will already
create a mistake). That's why I think it will be helpful to have the name
transliterated (even with a mistake) with the original form beside it. I took
french as an example, but it is the same for: Spanish, Norwegian, German etc

To summarize my opinion:

1/ For common names (know cities, celebrities :-) that have already a common
spelling in Arabic: we _HAVE_ to stick with that one.
2/ For others: let's transliterate in the best way (try to pronounce the name
as it would be in the original language) but let's keep the name in Latin
characters too.

Youcef R. Rahal
Arabeyes.org
http://www.arabeyes.org/~rahal