Re: Humble contribution to Wordlist

--- Ahmad Al-rasheedan <asr at baldi dot cc> wrote:

> 1) New_words (some 45,000 words) are the type of words that make you
> circle around yourself in pursuit of a proper, short Arabic translation.
> My kids will starve had I worked as a translator for a living, but coming
> up with meaningful translation to the bunch is frustrating. What do I do?
> I skip the word and move on to the next. I find myself skipping lots of
> words and working alone made it worse (time spent vs. output).

Maybe those words are simply not worth the effort then - I mean if you are
having that much difficulty with them maybe we should relegate them to
yet another lower priority list simply to make more progress on the easier
words.  Thoughts ?

> off the wall words', it is those words that mean something in English but
> hard to explain in 3 Arabic words.

You are free to explain them in more Arabic words, no ? :-)

> 3) Coordinator should call the shots on new_words and how much time
> should be spend on them vs. elaborating on existing golden words. I
> would give the whole remaining new_words 2, 3 months max to close.

Agreed.  I would suggest we do the following - by April 30 (that's 3
months) we should complete a first run through the 'new_words' and
translate what we have/can (I'm not sure what that means in terms of
how many days per file, etc and how many people).  Thoughts ?

> 4) Focus should be on golden words to provide multiple meanings to
> existing, meaningful English words.

OK, I think we are to the point now where we could (and possible should)
get going in that regard - ie. multiple translations.  I want to make
sure that we use a rather distinctive mark to denote a new translation.

I suggest '::' as a delimiter.

So we'd have,

 msgid  "hello"
 msgstr "translation-1 :: translation-2 :: translation-3"

I'm open to other delimiters, but not common ones like commas, single
colon, single semi-colons, etc since those could be legitimately used
in the translation (thus --> '::').  How does that sound ?

In terms of the plan, could we get a bit more granularity for the
April 30th (0.7 release) deadline in terms of 'new_words', etc.

Salam