Re: Humble contribution to Wordlist

On ث, 2004-01-27 at 00:13, Ahmad Al-rasheedan wrote:
> Good people,
>
> 1) New_words (some 45,000 words) are the type of words that make you
> circle around yourself in pursuit of a proper, short Arabic translation.
> My kids will starve had I worked as a translator for a living, but coming
> up with meaningful translation to the bunch is frustrating. What do I do?
> I skip the word and move on to the next. I find myself skipping lots of words
> and working alone made it worse (time spent vs. output).

> off the wall words', it is those words that mean something in English but
> hard to explain in 3 Arabic words.
>
> 3) Coordinator should call the shots on new_words and how much time
> should be spend on them vs. elaborating on existing golden words. I would
> give the whole remaining new_words 2, 3 months max to close.
>
> 4) Focus should be on golden words to provide multiple meanings to existing,
> meaningful English words.
>
> ...My 2c.
>
> Kind regards,

1) Even as a translator, working on the New_Words list would make my
childern starve. You need first to look at every word in an English
monolingual dictionary (notably if you are not a native English speaker
like me), then try to find out an appropriate concise Arabic equivalent.
I tried to work on the B list for a while and I found it very time
consuming vs output. But it should be done anyway, I think.
3) and 4) I totally agree.

For the time being, I will take Ossama and Nadim's advise and work on
KDE, as I will be more productive by doing so.

Best Regards,
Yasser