Re: E D S for Abdulaziz

--- Nawfal MEKNASSI <n_meknassi at yahoo dot fr> wrote:
> Salam,
>
> Accordind to the definition of nickname :
> 1- A descriptive name added to or replacing the actual
> name of a person, place, or thing.

That's why اسم مستعار would fit as it is not a real name.

> 2- A familiar or shortened form of a proper name.

Well, points 1 and 2 maybe are more suitable in general, but not for computer
terms IMHO. See this link:
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/computers/data/m0051515.html

> I don't think that :
> اسم مستعار
> is the appropriate traduction;

See above.

> I have proposed :
> تعريفك

What about nicknames, his/her/their nickname(s), and nicknamed? How would you
translated that?

> because in my opinion it suggest to the user to
> introduce him self by the name that he choose for him
> self;

Right, but not necessirily the name he's famous of. I mean, if my family call
me Assouma ;-) I won't use it as a nickname! Or not even a nickname that is
relative to me. Most people just choose a nick name they like for some reason.
(I'm getting you confused, am I? ;-)

> I suggest also :
> اسم الشهرة

This one is more likely a surname. See these two links:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=surname
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=nickname+

=====
regards,