Re: looking for arabic word list

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 09:34:28AM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:

> I don't think one exists.  We don't have an Arabic word
> list (yet :-) -- we have an english word list under the
> auspices of the wordlist project.
>
> I think the only way you can get an Arabic wordlist
> (since I'm 99.9% sure you won't find one on the 'net) is to
> create your own.  Look into a systematic means to generate
> it possibly via a "Morphological Analysis" tool (look into
> the Duali project).
>
> M.Elzubeir, in passing, I will hit you up with 'generating
> a complete Arabic Wordlist' later once you get freed-up ;-)

The Buckwalter dictionary is essentially an Arabic wordlist. That is, if
you are looking for them in their stem form. That is the same dictionary
(wordlist) that Duali currently uses.

I think the gendic script (not sure how useable it is right now)
generated a pure Arabic wordlist out of the 'Wordlist Project' wordlist
(that's too many 'wordlist' words in there, sorry for the confusion).

However, even the Buckwalter dictionary is filled with a lot of extra
information that may not make it easy for you to navigate through. It is
also transliterated (in Latin characters, rather than Arabic). You can
use the 'trans2arabic' script supplied with 'duali' to generate UTF-8
encoded versions of the Buckwalter transliterated wordlist.

Let me know if any of this makes sense (or doesn't) ;)

Regards