Re: About Terminology + After having revised GNOME andKDEterminology

Salam Hafid,

The issues you are enumerating are really important, nothing new here ;) Very unfortunately, I am really busy for the next coming month so I won't be able to discuss these issues thoroughly.

1- About names, I don't see a problem in keeping them in latin characters.

2- About consistency, well... This problem comes and goes periodically. That would be great if we could sit, discuss and find a solution once for all... I have already raised this issue almost one year ago, and I did not get a real satisfying solution. You can take a look at this thread:

http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/doc/2002/December/msg00017.html

(follow it 'till february 2003....:)

I faced this problem while developing Bayani, but it IS a general problem in Arabic translations. So, I did get 2 books (1 for computer science, 1 for math+astro) edited by a department of the Arab League. The people there have made a good effort to standardize terminology around the Arab world. So I based my translations on these books, first for Bayani, and then for the translation of QT and KDE and some other stuff. While translating KDE, I tried to use as often as I could those books and I modified the former translations to fit with the standards. Still, there ARE 2 problems:

a- Some (many?) of the terms used in the books are outdated (except for the math and astro ones which are rather fine). Some of them are weird ;) So it becomes useless to put them and hope a user will understand their meaning in an interface...

b- As far as I know, I am the ONLY person inside Arabeyes who has those books. So unless I work 24h a day on ALL translations (KDE, GNOME etc) I don't see a practical way to make them profitable to all translators... By the way, I stopped working on KDE since I started to have very little spare time... I may come back one again to it to give it one or two hours a week.

I believe that the work you did to standardize the translations is really the panacea (this assessment is based on what I saw on your posts, not on the zip file ;). Because it is based on practice and discussions and compliation from many sources etc. I am sure people will have critics/questions/suggestions/remarls/etc about some of the translations etc, but this is inevitable and hopefully constructive (I sure will give some remarks ;). What I suggest is that you use your in-progress-and-constant-evolution-dictionnary to continue KDE and GNOME translations and try to revize and standardize the existing translations (see that with the coordinators)... The initial plan, if I remember well, was to translate as much as we could, then make a second (and third?) pass to standardize everything (due to multiple translators etc). So, since the helping hands are few and we're running out of time, maybe the standardardization should be done directly in the first pass.

I also suggest to see with the wordlist guys a possible merge of your dictionary with wordlist. I don't see an issue in having technical terms inside an online dictionary. I also think that the natural evolution of wordlist-qamoose is to have an english-arabic-english dictionaries, plus french, spanish etc etc.

The final translation terms could even be submitted to the Arab League for inclusion in their dictionnaries...

Sorry for the long email and not answering you in Arabic (for practical reasons).

Salam all,

Youcef.

MSN Search, le moteur de recherche qui pense comme vous ! http://search.msn.fr/