Re: Translation projects' status ?

> Hehehe - Arabbix is debian based :-)  So the only reason I cited Anmar
> above is with relation to that.  Alas, this is likely to be done under
> the Arabbix umbrella but certainly falls in this context.  We have yet
> to identify __anyone__ to work on it.

I'll take a part of the files, I can't work on all files but ala Ossama style
I'll work on some one I an and don't when I can't so please point me out
to some of the files.

> > > + There was talk that we needed to arabize the debian.org pages (since alot
> > >   of other languages have already done that), yet I'm not sure if anyone
> > >   has signed-up for that.
> >
> > Well maybe this is ok but still maybe this is more a prestige work, I don't
> > know...
>
> These were all issues that came to mind - I agree that this is not necessary,
> but needs to be done at some point in the future.  Again, anyone interested
> in doing this ?  We are like the only language missing from there (and that
> is a shame).
>
> > > + There has also been talk of doing something with OpenOffice.org (OOo),
> > >   yet the details escape me -- we are to translate a bunch of things for
> > >   them as well.
> >
> > This is good I suppose this has to be done indeed...
>
> Again, we need people to volunteer to take this topic and work on.  Anyone ?
I took a second look at Arabbix yesterday, it seem OOo 1.1 only needs
some translation work as the majority is done, so translating some 300
strings for me or 600 in a couple of days is not a real problem, so I'll
try to take on it if I can.
> > > + I'm not sure what is the status and purpose of this page,
> > >     http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?team=ar
> > >   but someone should contact the person noted there to get some
> > >   feedback from him.
> >
> > From the apps it seems hes translating GNU tools into Arabic
> > maybe contact him for more information? Present him our project
> > and ask him to joint efforts?
>
> OK, I'll try to add to my todo list.  Again, anyone interested in working
> on ANYTHING that is listed there ?  Come on, people !!
I'll take on this one and contact him as soon as I can.
> > > + I don't think we ever got a revised timeline/schedule on the
> > >   wordlist project (Ahmad/asr ?) - it would be best to gate our
> > >   progress and set some milestones.
> >
> > what do they want to do with the file? Waht are their goals?  Which meals
> > do they like ;) do they have pets? =) And well what's their status...
>
> What they want to do with the files and what the goals are was and is plainly
> evident from the project page -- my concern was simply having a timeline and
> knowing when things will roll out.  Ahmad, when you get a change, do please
> let us know (my previous plan was too aggressive from what I remember).
Well my fault then of beeing too lazy to read the project page ;)
STILL I don't find their pets names in the status page...
> > I think making a standardized script is very good for this task,
> > something like:
> >
> > Name
> > Persons status
> > status of the project
> > goals
> > not attained goals
> > reproposed goals
> > need help
> > new member
> > personal thoughts
>
> Filling-out forms (although a good intended idea) is one that will simply
> not work.  What we need is the commitment of say 5-8 more people to complete
> all that is noted above in a timely fashion.  Having people fill-out forms
> to make them feel better doesn't seem like the proper may to go.  We have
> various tid-bits of info when people register - so the issue is not knowing
> that people exist and at some point they wanted to help, its simply that
> they said "YES, will do" and they did not (ie. they are not committed and
> are not being truthful to themselves above all).
Well I mean (maybe) a different thing here, the point would be that if we standardize
the way how ppl report about their work they'll have guidance on what to
write and what to say and so will be more willing to report...

No word on Arabbix ?

Salam
Arafat