Re: do we need any arabeyes ?

Am Son, 2003-04-20 um 20.32 schrieb Youcef Rabah Rahal:
> Salam,
>
> About the development projects. I am not sure 'killing' some or all of them
> will be a solution:
>
> 1- I'm not sure the actual developers are interested in translation. So
> killing the projects won't get you more translators.

I disn't meen we need to kill projects to get more develpers, I mean we
need to kill projects to get more programmers work on lesser projects.

> 2- Development projects have a VERY different life-cycle than translation
> projects. Translation is (and has to be) linear, while development can go
> fast or slow depending on MANY factors: technical difficulties, inspiration
> etc. And saying that the current projects are dead or trying to compare them
> to KDE or GNOME translation is not correct.
Comparig projects to KDE or GNOME translation is not correct, still
comparing KDE to gnome is IMHO correct.

> 3- I think that having many arabic-centric (but not limited to arabs)
> open-source software is a priority for many reasons. If you still don't know
> why, or you don't know what are our goals, please browse the arabeyes.org
> website.
Sure I know what our goals are, the problem is another one, how can we
attain our goals?

> About paying or prizing the translators or developers, i totally disagree
> with the idea. But I am rather OK with a moral prizing ;-) But I know that
> many share your view, so this denotes only my personal point of view.
Paying, sure no. But Prazing wouldn't be bad ;) what About a trip to Bahrain :D

> About recruiting, I'm personally OK with that. But again, we have to find
> the solutions first. Posting many 'job positions' won't get us anywhere if
> those people will say 'I want to help' then disappear after 2 days.
Well I'll ask two I know why they disappeared, this would help alot I
suppose.

> If people (those who personally said I want to help and registered for
> accounts) can't help anymore, or can't help for a limited period of time,
> then letting others (those in the same project) know is a MINIMUM.
I totally agree here.