KDE language switch broken?

Greetings all,

Is there something wrong with the KDE keybaord tool? It seems that I can't
setup the KDE Control Center to "switch and lock" languages (English <--->
Arabic) using any key configuation.

I did this before under Suse 8.0 and KDE 3.0, but I'm not on Mandrake 9.0 and
KDE 3.0.3 and I can't get the language to switch.

I basically go to control center/peripherals/keyboard

then the layout for arabic is there, I go to options and I set Group
Shift/Lock Behavior to some key, or 3rd level chosers to another key, but the
keys never really work.. i.e. switch the language.

The only way to swtich the langauge is to click on the taskbar KDE langauge
icon and that's inconveient... anyone has a clue on this?

regards,
Jasem.