Re: Arabic HOWTO (again)

<SNIPS>
My Inbox Happily Received This From Mohammed Elzubeir @ Sat, 23 Nov 2002 00:07:46 -0600
> I also would like to know if there is someone willing to volunteer
> translating it to the Arabic language.

If no one except me, I'll try to though i don't promise to
"i have exams the next few weeks"

> If you think there is a section that is missing or would like to see specific
> expansion on certain sections please let me know. Don't wait and then come
> back and say why is this information not available! Tell me what you want to
> see now -- this document will also be submitted to the Linux Documentation
> Project (www.tldp.org) so an Arabic translation would be super nice to go
> along ;)
I think that we should add a section on how to enable Arabic fonts to the applications compiled with Xft2 support ?
by adding the directory containing the fonts to /etc/fonts/fonts.conf like this "for example":
        <dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf</dir>
I can send you the complete file if you want.

Actually fontconfig & xft2 don't come with mandrake 9.0 but i like to play with the system ;)

A short note about Abiword,
I've spent the last 2 nights checking out the CVS repository for Abiword and compiling it
i've tested it but not that much
i don't know why i didn't succeed in importing Arabic word  documents
but i've compiled it with xft2 and that makes arabic support perfect except fore one thing
i'll try to demonstrate
if you type "lam" followed by an "alef" on a _NEW LINE_ then a space, and complete anything abiword'll generate a BadAlloc error and exit,
i think it should work without xft2 but i didn't try it cause i'll have to recompile and tell abiword about the arabic fonts to use them which is not a lovely
thing
i also have the latest development version, but didn't test it yet
i succeeded to make 1.0.1 write arabic but with no shaping!

I know that we can't conclude anything from this :D
but i wanted to report the full story.

--
-- Katoob Main Developer