Re: Behind what ?

--- ammer <ammer islamway net> wrote:
> Bismillah Alrahman Alraheem

[snip]

> 1- I am not with any thing related to translation in this stage of
> Linux, because Linux still lacks the key applications/functionality for
> the Arabian users (I am using Mandrake 9 with kde 3.0.4 and koffice 1.2,
> and find a lot of difficulties working with Arabic documents).

Salam.  I very very very much suggest you list out what is it that Linux
is lacking so that everyone can take note of those short-comings and put
an action plan in place to address those issues.

> Also, If we translated the interface, can we say to others, come on and
> use the software? I know very well that no one will be satisfied with
> the current features available in the KOffice (espicially the so
> bad/strange tables).

Again, do point those things out (possibly on the 'general' list) so
that all these issues get some air time and get addressed.  Give
clear examples of what is lacking, include screenshots, be very
precise.

> Then as summary for this point, we have no good solution untill we go
> and merge the Israeli patch with OOo 1.0.1 tree, by our hands and then
> continue supporting the BIDI in this package, which the only viable
> software we have as an alternative to MS's one.

In terms of "office", OpenOffice has noted that they are working on their
own Bidi solution which will be forth-coming.  Are there other issues
in that application that you see lacking ?

> 2- I do now recommend an active efforts only in internationalizing the
> key packages of Linux to support BIDI, with a good number of font, and
> after that we will call for translators, and they will never feel bored
> because they are using the software daily, and after finishing the
> translation we will call the wide base of arabian come and use the
> software, and after that we will find a lot of support because companies
> will find already trained users for the world of linux. first of all We

Well, that is exactly what arabeyes has set out to do.  We started out by
not being able to read Arabic on linux/unix (forget browsers) and we helped
fix that problem by creating many editors and various means.  Now we can
read/write/save/view/replace/etc Arabic very easily (so the developers have
been trying to do their end of things for awhile now) - again if there are
certain areas that have been forgotten point them out -- We all need feedback
and a sanity/process check every so often.  Now the question becomes, where
are the translators ?  Where is this support that you logically note
(and I agree with your line of thinking); you are saying there needs to be
demand for the supply to take place.

> 5- There is other groups which could help in develping in linux, like
> the research groups (like IBM and http://www.ccse.kfupm.edu.sa/~husni/)
> and universities, the groups paying licensing for thier personal use (in
> America), the groups paying licensing in thier private business (like in
> egypt), and the interesting groups like the islamic organizations and
> real muslim individuals.

The research group noted above was never mentioned (again YOUR help - every
one of YOU guys needs to play his/her part in helping - is much needed).
As for universities, let me give you a sample of the difficulties that
arabeyes has been facing.  We've mailed 130+ professors/deans in hopes
of educating them about Linux/Unix and in hopes of starting a dialog and
possible cooperation.  Out of those 130 emails, 24 bounced, 3 replied.
Out of those 3 only ONE (yes 1) replied further and is ready for some sort
of more detail thoughts.  Another case in point, donations - we have received
3 donations (in the past 2 years) totaling $150.  So again I agree with
your statements in principle, but unfortunitly we have been having lots of
difficulties in making sense of out what's there.  We need help; again let
me be clear - WE NEED HELP.  It is my job and yours and hers and his to go
out there and see what he/she can do to help this effort.  I call upon you
and others to give us this assistance and to be creative in how you go about
gaining favor.  In short, please pursue all that you think will help and
bring them onboard.

> 6- We have stronger case than any other languages because the Arabic
> language is important not only for the Arabian Nation but also the
> Islamic World

I agree - again, make that a reality.

> 8- I think the relation between the Arabic Language and Islam is the
> winning card, because we can bring a lot of guys to work with us without
> any problems if we convinced some Islamic individsual to support
> financially the project for the sake of Allah

Some might not feel comfortable mixing Religion in this, but irrespective
the end goal is the same - Arabic and Linux/Unix coexisting naturally, so
let's focus on that.  So again I suggest you go about attaining that support
and rallying whatever assistance you can bring forth.

> Please tell me your oppinions and please talk frankly.

Your comments and frankness is very much appreciated.  You point out many
good ideas (and a couple of links that might be of interest :-), but what
needs to happen is action.  Do go out and contact these people and put
your thoughts into real work and you might find out that its much more
difficult than you first found out - which should never detract from the
end goal (ie. keep at it).  Simply put,

 1. Point out what is lacking to get "good" arabic support on Linux
 2. Go out to the world and get help for this (and other) projects to
    succeed and survive (Arabic needs OUR attention).
 3. Do actual work - everyone of us has a duty (moral and otherwise) to
    lend a helping hand.  Have YOU really done your part ?

And finally, the translation work is indeed behind other seemingly obscure
languages (we might choose not to accept it, but its a reality -- Arabic
was on the edge of being completely excluded from the KDE release !!).
What, beyond telling people of our work, are people willing to do about
this ?  Can we get say 20 people to divide up the entire KDE tree
and own certain files for the duration of the project (each person will
only be responsible for his/her files) ?  Can we get a commitment from
people about completing their assigned tasks without them disappearing
(we all have time constraints -- we are all busy with something, but an
hour a week even doesn't seem like much for us to ask for, is it ?)

Where are all the others on this list ?  Where are your comments, thoughts,
actions ?  This is not pleasant for any of us, but let's fix this major
problem.